Italia Day 3

Sunday, August 28, 2016

5:30 PM

A little more downtime this afternoon! We are on Day 3 in Italy, and we’re all starting to feel the jet lag. I woke up this morning at 7:15 AM to run with Colleen (a soccer player). We both haven’t exercised in a week or two (shh…), but we managed to run two miles in twenty minutes! We ran around the little town we are in. It reminds me a lot of my relatives’ house in Florida- residential yet small and quiet. Most Italians are friendly towards us, but I can tell that some of them must think “Stupid Americans.” One guy did say “Buon giorno” to us on our run, and we did our best to say it back correctly with a smile. We ended up getting lost in the area, but we eventually found our way back to the hotel for a quick shower, croissant, watermelon, and cup of coffee.

Instead of orientation meetings this morning, we went to a museum in Tarquinia. As my family knows, I am not a huge museum person. I like looking at various exhibits for 10-20 minutes then leaving before an hour has passed. However, we had a tour guide today, so we had to stay for an hour and a half. It was challenging to understand him with his Italian accent, and it was very hot. Luckily, I wasn’t the only one who wasn’t super intrigued by the tour. Many of us used the time to take photos, sit down, and chat. We did look at the stuff there and admired the architecture. I’m hoping to have a greater appreciation for art (and museums) by the end of the school year.

We ate lunch after the museum at a local restaurant. They served each of us a large bowl of salad and a large plate of pasta! We were all so relieved to have some greens on our plates rather than the pasta and pizza we have been served every meal since we’ve been here. For dessert, we had gelato. I tried blueberry, coconut, and lemon.  It was delicious! I loved it and can’t wait to try more. Quality gelato is something I’m definitely going to miss in America.

We were going to visit the Necropolis of Tarquinia, but our timing got messed up, so only those who really wanted to go went. I was so tired that I just wanted to go back to the hotel to rest! I napped and Facetimed my mom (and Kiara) before swimming in the ocean and lying on the beach for an hour. It’s a tough life.

We have an academic meeting in half an hour then another dinner out! I miss my friends from home and family but am appreciating meeting new people. Everyone’s at college and figuring out their new routines, classes, and friends. It’s an exciting time for college freshmen; I’m glad I get to be a part of it! xo ~e.

10:45 PM

Dinner tonight was one of my favorites so far. We started with bruschetta before moving on to pasta, caprese salad, and chocolate mousse (tasted like Cool Whip drizzled with chocolate syrup). They served us red wine tonight, but I couldn’t tell you what kind. It’s taken me two hours to finish a glass over dinner, and I have no problem with that. Learning to drink the ‘correct’ way.

Our group is getting more and more comfortable with each other. We’re laughing at the dinner table like old friends, being loud on the bus, and accompanying one another to the toilette. Our study abroad friends will always be the ones that we will share these fond, Italian memories with.

Tomorrow we have Italian and cooking class in Tuscania! xo ~e.

Word of the day: scusi/scusa (excuse me; sorry)



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s